Computer Technology Skills
webinar series is designed to build your essential computer technology
skills as a paralegal! All this in six one-hour sessions for just $59.00
for non-members and free for
November 10, 17, Dec. 1, Dec. 8, Dec. 15, Dec. 22, 2016
- All files you will need for this course will be supplied to you in advance.
- Hardware/Media Technology you will be learning:
- Audio editing/capture
- Hard drives
- Apricot hard drive recovery of data
- Smart phone scanning to pdf files
- Video adapters for tablets and laptops
- Videos on how to use Word Outline view:
- What is a gigapan? and how and why to create these - see http://www.gigapan.com for examples
- Three Presentation Tools:
- Using Prezi vs. Powerpoint (explanation of Prezi vs. Powerpoint)
- Hyperlinks/bookmarks in Word and how to use these to create clickable table of contents for each of your chapter outlines.
- Still images out of a video into Powerpoint
- Quick Parts in Word
- Heat issues regarding CPU and how to avoid slowing down a computer
- 3d images and how they are created
- How to connect an iphone to a microscope and take photos
- How to zip a file using win zip
- Hotdocs basics
- Create a Word Macros
- Pacer and how to use it
- Create a spreadsheet that totals and averages data and include a chart
- Create an Access database
- How to insert pictures into an Access database
- Connecting laptop to a projector
- How to minimize metadata in Excel spreadsheets: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/223789
- Abacus Law
- Create a spreadsheet with 5 rows of data and import this into Access
- IOLTA Accounts: How to Manage IOLTA accounts with TABS 3
- How to Enhance Images using Image software
- In this session we will use this online
cloud photo editor that is similar to Photoshop, a common software
program for enhancing images.
- Rules regarding what you can do to enhance a digital image
- How to Recover data from a hard drive that won't boot or when the "shell" it is in won't work
- Example of how an object can be removed from a digital image
- How to quickly get a list of all files on a hard drive, usb stick or cd into a Word document.
- Create TimeLines with TimeMap
- Create a timeline in Powerpoint
- Gom Player and how to extract a sequence of images and import into Powerpoint
In the above sessions you will have learned
how to accomplish all the attorneys ask you to do in the following 12
scenarios and we will review how to meet these objectives:
- An attorney asks you to make it easier for
him to insert certain 'canned' paragraphs into his documents. He gives
you the text of 3 paragraphs and asks you if there is a way he can just
click somewhere and the paragraph will be inserted right where he wants
it. What software tool will you use to do this? Create a word document
that has this feature in it and be sure the 3 paragraphs will be
inserted when he chooses to do so.
- An attorney asks you to put a sequence of
images from a video into a Powerpoint slideshow. Explain what software
you would use to do this and extract a sequence of images from the video
file he provides and get them into Powerpoint explaining hos you did
this. You will have to install this software.
- An attorney gives you a bunch of dates and events and asks you to create a timeline for him.
- What software do you choose? Create the timeline in that software and save it to your X: drive.
- An attorney gives you an image in which
there is a lot of shadow on the eyes of a person and he wants to see
those eyes brighter and better. Do this for him using software we used
in class. Resave the image to your X: drive.
- An attorney says he wants a panorama view
of an area but one into which he can zoom with greater resolution than a
normal panorama. You have a bunch of images that need to be stitched
together into this panorama. You may as an option install the software
and stitch the images together then save the result to the X: drive.
- An attorney asks you to create a calendar
that automatically calculates due dates on various documents that need
to be submitted to the court. What software do you choose.
- An attorney asks you to put together a mailing list of all clients into some software program.
- An attorney tells you he wants an index in a
document regarding a contract and he wants to be able to click and go
to certain sections of the contract when showing it to the client.
- An attorney repeatedly asks you to type certain paragraphs in various documents.
- An attorney asks you to create a list of all files on a disk and put that list into a Word document.
- Time spent on these assignments
Your Instructor: Karl M. Kindt III
Instructor at Southwestern Illinois College
Teaching Courses: Computer Technology in the Legal Environment and Ediscovery: Principles and Tools
B.A. Degree in Political Science from Elmhurst College
Masters Degree in Paralegal Studies from Webster University
22 years experience as Litigation Support Technologist/Paralegal for Lewis Rice in St. Louis
Organization of Legal Professionals (OLP) is a sponsor of this webinar. OLP is a California MCLE Multiple Activity Provider. Six hours CLE. Check with your state for eligibility. Classes are subject to change or cancellation. No refunds. Attendees may apply a credit towards another course or provide a substitute.